Medicine/Pulmonary and Critical CareMentor Name: Tim Lahm
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Medicine, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy
- Dress Code:
- None—whatever is comfortable
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Exercise Science, Health Sciences, Nursing
- Hours per week:
- Flexible based on student needs
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Our overall goal is to decipher the effects of estrogen receptor signaling in the lung and right heart in pulmonary hypertension. This project centers on analyzing the effects of estrogens and selective estrogen receptor agonists on the blood vessel architecture and quantity in the lung and in the right side of the heart. We are studying this in human lung and heart tissue from pulmonary hypertension patients, in animal models of pulmonary hypertension, and in isolated cell culture systems.
- Internship Duties:
- 1) Analysis of pulmonary vascular remodeling through immunohistochemistry and subsequent analysis using computerized software and 2) analysis of right heart remodeling through immunofluorescence staining and subsequent analysis using computerized software. Possibilities exist to help with other projects and methods, depending on work flow and availability. This work does not include contact with animals.