PediatricsSupervisor: Tamara Hannon
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Health Sciences, Nursing, Public Health
- Hours per week:
- Flexible with Tuesday night required
- Dr. Hannon is a national leader in childhood obesity and the pathogenesis, treatment, and prevention of type 2 diabetes in youth. Her research program involves primary and secondary prevention of type 2 diabetes, and the development of interventions to improve self-care in adolescents with obesity, prediabetes, and diabetes. Her mission is to translate diabetes prevention programs using community engagement methods so that they can be utilized in community settings with underserved populations. Students working with her will participate in community-engaged and patient-engaged research, including study recruitment, implementation of prevention programs, and data analysis.
- Internship Duties:
- 1) Assisting with the development and implementation of nutrition and physical activity curriculum for youth in community and clinic settings, 2) assisting with data collection for various research studies, 3) conducting educational programming for youth and families, 4) entering research data into our databases, 5) engaging youth in activities during health coaching sessions, and 6) writing blogs and other social media outreach.
- It is required that interns are available on Tuesday evenings, 6:00–8:00 p.m., to assist with our diabetes prevention programming that takes place at a community center located in Indianapolis.