Pediatrics, Immunology Mentor Name: Sophie Paczesny
- Internship Location:
Medicine, Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Lab coat and closed-toe shoes
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Biomarkers, cytokines, human immunology, translational medicine, immunotherapy, and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. The goal of our laboratory is to develop biomarkers for the diagnosis and prognosis of complications following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. We use a three-step proteomics pipeline: 1) discovery of proteins in an unbiased manner with a quantitative mass-spectrometry based technology, 2) selection of the most promising candidate proteins using systems biology, and 3) validation of these candidates in a large number of samples using high-throughput techniques such as ELISA assays.
- Internship Duties:
- The intern will work with the PI on the validation of the candidate biomarkers in a large number of samples using high-throughput techniques such as ELISA assays. The intern will then analyze the data with clinical statistics and compile the data for a presentation—oral or poster.