Regenstrief Institute—Center for Health Services ResearchSupervisor: Shelley Johns
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Medicine, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Physical Therapy
- Dress Code:
- Business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Neuroscience, Nursing, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Sociology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible based on student needs
- Flexible within regular work hours
- I am a health psychologist and clinical researcher exploring new treatment options for symptom management in adults with cancer. Our collaborative team tests mindfulness- and acceptance-based behavioral interventions to: (1) reduce cancer-related fatigue and associated symptoms for cancer survivors post-treatment; and (2) improve adaptive coping and quality of life for adults with advanced-stage cancer and their family caregivers. Much of our work is mixed methods (collecting both quantitative and qualitative data in a single study), and we have qualitative data from a recent clinical trial available for a student to help analyze. We are also evaluating a self-care program for faculty and staff offered through Healthy IU; interns will have the opportunity to be trained in conducting rich qualitative interviews and analyzing the data as part of this ongoing program evaluation. Thus, we are particularly interested in students who would like to learn more about qualitative data collection and analysis. Our intern can also assist with a study exploring the feasibility, usability, and acceptability of a mindfulness smartphone app developed by our team.
- Internship Duties:
- In a typical semester, internship duties may include (but are not limited to): coding/analyzing qualitative data, assisting with manuscript/poster development (potential opportunity for co-authorship), preparing study mailings, recruiting/consenting human subjects, attending study enrollment and data collection events, entering data in databases, verifying/checking data, transcribing qualitative interviews, and checking transcripts for accuracy against recordings.
- Motivated and organized students who are attentive to detail and passionate about learning new things in a supportive and collaborative environment are encouraged to apply!