Anatomy and Cell BiologyMentor Name: Jason Organ and Krista Hoffmann-Longtin
- Internship Location:
- Dress Code:
- Majors Preferred:
Anthropology, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Education, Forensic and Investigative Sciences, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Journalism / English / Technical Communication, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Public Health, Sociology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible based on student needs
- Flexible within regular work hours
- This internship will help you develop skills to communicate about science effectively to the general public. The intern will be responsible for supporting efforts to communicate about science, both in the Organ Lab and with IUPUI’s affiliation with the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science. The intern will develop marketing materials, including blogs, emails, and print materials; gather data on the programs; prepare manuscripts; and manage communication about the programs to faculty and staff.
- Internship Duties:
- Develop and write blogs, emails, and print materials for both the lab and the Communicating Science program; maintain social media accounts for the programs (e.g., Facebook, Twitter); gather and organize data about the programs (click through rates, etc.); research science communication strategies and trends and prepare literature reviews; work with the project supervisors to prepare manuscripts about the program; support the administrative and logistical aspects of outreach projects, including external partnerships; and other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing skills (as indicated by earning an A or B in W131 and W132 or equivalent), ability to adjust communication for a variety of audiences, experience in academic research in social science, interest in science communication and public understanding of science, and high attention to detail.