Orthopedic SurgeryMentor Name: Melissa Kacena
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Closed-toe shoes and long pants
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Exercise Science, Health Sciences, Neuroscience, Nursing, Public Health
- Hours per week:
- Should have good block of three hours (at least for much of the work)
- Orthopedic surgery laboratory studying bone healing and osteoporosis on Earth and in spaceflight. Our research focuses on the regulatory interactions between skeletal and hematopoietic cells in four main areas: 1) the effects of megakaryocytes on osteoblast proliferation and bone formation, 2) the regulation of bone regeneration by thrombopoietin, 3) the effects of spaceflight on bone healing, and 4) the regulation of hematopoietic stem cells by osteoblasts, megkaryocytes, and osteal macrophages.
- Internship Duties:
- Working with mice and assisting with surgeries, X rays, and microCT analysis. Standard molecular and cell biology methods, including PCR.
- Motivated students who are hard working and want to learn new things.