Orthopaedic SurgeryMentor Name: Melissa Kacena
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Closed to shoes and pants
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Exercise Science, Health Sciences, Neuroscience, Nursing, Public Health
- Hours per week:
- Should have good block of time 3 hours at least for much of the work.
- Orthopaedic surgery laboratory studying bone healing and osteoporosis on Earth and in Spaceflight.
Our research focuses on the regulatory interactions between skeletal and hematopoietic cells in 3 main areas: 1) The effects of megakaryocytes on osteoblast proliferation and bone formation; 2) The regulation of bone regeneration by thrombopoietin; 3) The effects of spaceflight on bone healing; and 4) The regulation of hematopoietic stem cells by osteoblasts, megkaryocytes, and osteal macrophages.
- Internship Duties:
- Working with mice. Assisting with surgeries, xrays, microCT analysis. Standard molecular and cell biology methods including PCR.
- Motivated students that are hard working and want to learn new things.