Adolescent MedicineMentor Name: Matthew Aalsma
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Relaxed business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Chemistry, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Nursing, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Sociology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Dr. Aalsma focuses on research with vulnerable populations, including youth in the mental health and juvenile justice systems. Our research agenda includes exploring system-wide and individual efforts to improve the utilization of mental and physical health care among children and adolescents. Our current projects include: (1) exploring teens' experiences with school-based sex education curricula and its impact on their utilization of school-based health care clinics, (2) improving family engagement among justice involved youth, and (3) implementation of a bundled screening, brief intervention and treatment program for justice-involved youth with substance use disorders.
- Internship Duties:
- Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, attending weekly research team meetings, conducting literature reviews and summarizing research findings, managing data, consenting and interviewing research study participants, conducting clinical interviews of youth in the juvenile justice system, and helping to draft scholarly manuscripts for publication.
- We are looking for interns who possess excellent writing skills, a keen attention to detail, and an ability to work independently. Familiarity with SPSS, MS Excel, and EndNote is strongly preferred, but not required.