NeurologySupervisor: Kathryn Nevel
- Internship Location:
Medicine, IU Health Methodist Hospital, IU Health University Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Casual, occasionally work attire appropriate for a medical office setting
- Majors Preferred:
Anthropology, Biology, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Informatics, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Neuroscience, Nursing, Public Health
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Opportunity to learn neuro-oncology, create and curate a prospective database that will shape IU neuro-onc research for decades. This project entails creating and then curating an ongoing database of patients with neuro-oncologic diagnoses who come to neuro-oncology, neurosurgery, and radiation oncology clinics. The database would be created and maintained with the guidance of the mentor. This database will serve as a repository from which data can be extracted to answer innumerable research questions, and the creation of the database itself will be written up as a research project/poster.
- Internship Duties:
- Interaction with patients for research purposes, in order to consent them to enroll into the study to participate in the prospective database Data entry into RedCap database Review of medical records
- No special technical or transferable skills required, other than a relative comfort with technology. Qualities sought are maturity and compassion for interacting with patients with serious illness, willingness to learn new skills (RedCap database platform, regular workshops available through IU), and attention to detail for data entry purposes.