Center for Public Health PracticeSupervisor: Joan Duwve
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Business casual
- Hours per week:
- Flexible based on student needs
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Join the Center for Public Health Practice (CPHP) to learn how to improve the health of people where they live, work, study, and play. The CPHP works with state agencies, community-based organizations, and other IUPUI schools, programs, and centers to support excellence in public health practice across the state of Indiana. Some of our key partners include the Indiana State Department of Health and county health departments. During the internship, the student will be exposed to aspects of public health practice that include but are not limited to: public health accreditation; professional development for the current public health workforce including Project ECHO; campus health including sponsoring semi-annual Drug Take Back events; managing an organization dedicated to serving local health officers; and acting as the student liaison for the Public Health Corps. The internship will involve working independently and in a team environment on various projects.
- Internship Duties:
Assist the associate dean for practice and the Center for Public Health Practice (CPHP) staff with new and ongoing projects as part of the team. Duties may include developing PowerPoint presentations and/or posters, completing literature searches and other information gathering, and data collection and analysis. Duties may also include assisting with new projects that may take shape over the course of the internship. Help plan and coordinate events throughout the semester such as poverty simulation events and movie nights.
Formulate and bring new ideas that benefit ongoing projects, initiatives, and events.
Help to create a positive and accepting environment for those that work for and with the CPHP.
- • An interest in learning more about the practice of public health in Indiana. • Ability to successfully handle multiple assignments across different projects. • Ability to operate independently and in a team environment. • Ability to be organized and prepared to offer new ideas to projects. • Ability to be open minded to new ideas and projects. • An interest in helping better the public health of Indiana and the IUPUI community. • Ability to communicate in a clear, timely, and effective manner. • This internship is not specific to students with a prior public health knowledge. All majors are welcomed, but the student is expected to have an interest in general public health.