Cancer CenterMentor Name: Jill Henry
- Internship Location:
IU Health University Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Business Casual
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Education, Exercise Science, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Journalism / English / Technical Communication, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Nursing
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- The Komen Tissue Bank is acquiring and distributing normal breast tissue samples in an effort to prevent and cure breast cancer. The Komen Tissue Bank (KTB) is a repository for normal breast tissue and matched serum, plasma and DNA. The KTB not only collects, stores and updates the annotations on the samples but also makes these samples available to scientists around the world who use them to conduct research which will provide insight into how breast cancer starts. By studying normal tissue, we accelerate research into the causes and prevention of breast cancer.
- Internship Duties:
- The student intern will work with the Komen Tissue Bank staff on various projects including data collection from participants, record requests, data processing and clean up, sample quality control, assist with preparations for andparticipate in tissue collection events, educational events and festivals.
- Strong communication skills including being comfortable talking to participants on the phone, basic word processing. Excel experience required. Detail oriented and self-starter.