Cancer CenterSupervisor: Jill Henry
- Internship Location:
IU Health University Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Education, Exercise Science, Health Information Administration, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Journalism / English / Technical Communication, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Nursing
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- The Komen Tissue Bank (KTB) is acquiring and distributing normal breast tissue samples to prevent and to cure breast cancer. The KTB is a repository for normal breast tissue and matched serum, plasma, and DNA. The KTB not only collects, stores, and updates the annotations on the samples, but it also makes these samples available to scientists around the world who use them to conduct research that will provide insight into how breast cancer starts. By studying normal tissue, we accelerate research into the causes and prevention of breast cancer.
- Internship Duties:
- The student intern will work with the Komen Tissue Bank staff on various projects, including data collection from participants, record requests, data processing and clean up, sample quality control, assist with preparations for and to participate in tissue collection events, and educational events and festivals.
- Strong communication skills including being comfortable talking to participants on the phone, basic word processing. Excel experience required. Detail oriented and self-starter.