PediatricsMentor Name: Laura Haneline and Emily Blue
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Majors Preferred:
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- We are interested in finding out why children exposed to their mothers' diabetes or preeclampsia during gestation are more at risk for disease later in life. By studying specific stem cells that we isolate from newborns' cord blood, we are discovering the molecular and cellular mechanisms that contribute to the children's future diseases like high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes.
- Internship Duties:
- Helping with experiments using human cells, proteins, RNA, and DNA, including running protein gels, Western blots, and PCR; some preparation of solution and supplies for general lab use.
- None required, just an interest in research and learning new techniques and ideas.