Laboratory Animal Resource CenterMentor Name: Deb Hickman
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Normal attire; closed-toe shoes required
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Forensic and Investigative Sciences, Neuroscience, Psychology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible based on student needs
- Flexible within regular work hours
- The Hickman laboratory evaluates and improves the well-being of animals used in research. Ongoing projects include assessing changing the housing environment (e.g., modifying cages, providing toys, providing socialization) and handling (e.g., positive reward training for collecting blood samples). We do a lot of behavioral testing, and students will also get hands-on experience in medical techniques, such as blood collection.
- Internship Duties:
- Behavioral testing, sample collection, animal handling, reading and presenting relevant literature, and scientific writing.
- Not required, but introduction to biology or psychology can be useful.