Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Occupational and Sleep Medicine Mentor Name: Catherine R. Sears, M.D.
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Casual dress. Close-toed shoes
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Health Sciences, Medical Humanities and Health Studies
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- The overall goal of my research is to determine the impact of DNA damage/repair on the development and treatment of lung cancer.
The aim of this project is to investigate the role of DNA repair proteins XPC on the development of smoking-induced lung cancer and mutations which may lead to cancer development.
- Internship Duties:
- Typical duties include analysis of lung tissues, including the preparation and staining of these tissues using a specialized microscope. The student will gain additional exposure to laboratory techniques by assisting with the preparation of lung samples for analysis. The student may also assist with Western blots and basic biochemical assays. Depending on their interests, there is opportunity to assist with animal studies. No previous laboratory experience is needed.
- Applicants must be excited to learn, open-minded and work well with others. Good time management skills are essential. No previous laboratory experience is required.