Obstetrics and GynecologySupervisor: Brownsyne Tucker Edmonds, M.D., M.P.H., M.S.
- Internship Location:
Medicine, Eskenazi Health, IU Health Methodist Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Anthropology, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Sociology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Interested in learning more about patient communication and decision making in women's reproductive health? Join our team! I am an OB/GYN and health services researcher who studies doctor-patient communication and clinical decision making. My interests are in health disparities, medical ethics, social justice, and medical professionalism. The goal of my research is to promote shared decision making in high-risk obstetrical settings, particularly among socially and financially disadvantaged populations. I currently study topics ranging from resuscitation decisions for extremely preterm newborns, postpartum contraception, vaginal birth after cesarean section, and the care of opiate-dependent pregnant women.
- Internship Duties:
- Examples include coding qualitative interviews, conducting literature reviews, assisting with call-outs for phone surveys, data entry, study recruitment, and medical record chart abstraction.
- Must be organized, take initiative, communicate clearly and professionally in the office and clinical settings, work effectively as part of a team, and maintain patient confidentiality.