Obstetrics & GynecologyMentor Name: Brownsyne Tucker Edmonds, MD, MPH, MS
- Internship Location:
Medicine, Eskenazi Health, IU Health Methodist Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- business casual
- Majors Preferred:
Anthropology, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Medical Humanities and Health Studies, Psychology, Public Health, Social Work, Sociology
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours.
- Interested in learning more about patient communication and decision-making in women's reproductive health? Join our team!
I am an OB/GYN and health services researcher who studies doctor-patient communication and clinical decision-making. My interests are in health disparities, medical ethics, social justice, and medical professionalism. The goal of my research is to promote shared decision-making in high risk obstetrical settings, particularly among socially and financially disadvantaged populations. I currently study topics ranging from resuscitation decisions for extremely preterm newborns, vaginal birth after cesarean-section, and the care of opiate-dependent pregnant women.
- Internship Duties:
- Examples include coding qualitative interviews, conducting literature reviews, assisting with call-outs for phone surveys, data entry, study recruitment, and medical record chart abstraction.
- Must be organized, take initiative, communicate clearly and professionally in the office and clinical settings, work effectively as part of a team, and maintain patient confidentiality.