PathologyMentor Name: Rebekah Sanchez-Hodge
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Closed-toed shoes and general lab safety requirements
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Exercise Science, Health Sciences, Neuroscience
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Heart? Brain? We got 'em and study them both. We are actively looking for individuals who are interested in getting experience in a research laboratory setting. The Wills-Schisler lab uses observations from clinical-based studies such as GWAS, exome sequencing, metabolomics, and methylation to develop molecular, cellular, and animal-based models to understand the pathophysiological impact of these observations. Disease areas include genetic mutations, cerebellar ataxias, accelerated aging, atherosclerosis, cardiac hypertrophy, and cardiac/skeletal muscle wasting. We employ dietary, exercise, and pharmacological interventions to improve health and quality of life. Interested students should check out the institute (ICMH, https://goo.gl/Qqjw3a), our publications (https://goo.gl/u52sqK and https://goo.gl/2yefe7), and our website (https://goo.gl/z1Qdka).
- Internship Duties:
- Typical duties or tasks of this position include: assisting with mouse work, genotyping, and autoclaving/making buffers and solutions, etc.
- Basic laboratory skills preferred (e.g., pipetting), but not required. Must be comfortable/open to working with mice.