Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Supervisor: Wen Zhang
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Closed toed shoes required
- Majors Preferred:
- Hours per week:
- 7-9 hours
- Flexible within regular work hours
- We are trying to create the mirror-image molecules of natural DNA and RNA, and using them as the new generate of drug. What we are creating in lab is the artificial DNA/RNA which is non-existing in nature and has the mirror-image structure of the native one. We want to apply this synthetic DNA/RNA to select functional aptamer targeting disease-related protein and RNA motifs. This mirror-image DNA/RNA is also highly programmable to construct very ordered nanoparticle for drug delivery tool.
- Internship Duties:
- Understanding the nucleic acid-related chemistry and biochemistry knowledge. Learning to record and interpret experimental results. Chemically synthesize DNA and RNA molecules using equipment and by enzymatic fashion. The basic skills include DNA/RNA preparation, purification, gel electrophoresis and HPLC, crystallography technique and SELEX (systematic evolution of ligands by exponential enrichment).