Anatomy, Cell Biology and Physiology Supervisor: Steven Welc
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Medicine, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Casual, lab appropriate clothing
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Exercise Science, Health Sciences, Neuroscience
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- We study the molecular mechanisms that affect muscle injury, repair, regeneration, growth and degeneration. We are a basic and applied research lab that studies the pathophysiology of muscle in the contexts of aging, injury/trauma and disease (muscular dystrophy). Our research focuses on regulatory interactions of immune and muscle cells that affect skeletal and cardiac muscle health. The goal of our research is to identify mechanisms and test therapeutics to improve muscle health.
- Internship Duties:
- Perform routine laboratory duties. Help with dissecting, collecting and processing mouse muscle tissue samples. Sectioning cryopreserved tissues for histology, performing various histological techniques, microscopy and analysis. Various other basic molecular biology techniques.
- Important qualities: responsible, organized, trustworthy, and motivated.