Biochemistry and Molecular BiologySupervisor: Scott Aoki
- Internship Location:
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
Pre-Medicine, Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Dress Code:
- Closed toed shoes required
- Hours per week:
- Specific days/times required (include the specifics below) -- require 3-5 hour blocks, Mon-Fri
- Nucleic acid-protein complexes and the non-genetic information that shapes us. The Aoki Lab combines multiple biochemical methods with C. elegans, a small living worm, to determine the biological purpose of nucleic acid-protein complexes as transmitters of information across cells and generations. This effort requires development of new ways to study protein function in the context of a living, multicellular animal. The mechanistic discoveries made in conserved proteins and processes in the worm serve as an entree into understanding healthy and diseased states in humans.
- Internship Duties:
Basic molecular biology. This includes agarose plate pouring, DNA/RNA extraction, recombinant DNA cloning, PCR, gel electrophoresis and immunoblotting.
Assisting in the processing, analysis and presentation of data.
Assisting in maintaining laboratory organization and record keeping, including sample tracking, equipment maintenance, and maintaining laboratory notebooks.
- Students are expected to work independently, document all work performed, and be courteous to others.