Hematology/OncologySupervisor: Dr. Larry Cripe
- Internship Location:
Medicine, IU Health University Hospital
- Pre Professional Interests Preferred:
- Dress Code:
- Business Casual
- Majors Preferred:
Biology, Chemistry, Health Sciences, Health Services Management, Nursing
- Hours per week:
- Flexible within regular work hours
- Our work will improve health outcomes by improving communication. The projects review pat. records, survey and interview cancer pat. Patients with cancer often experience adverse outcomes due to an incomplete appreciation of the goals of treatment and potential risks. Our group is designing interventions to support patient and physician communication in ways that lead to more informed patients and better health outcomes. We study outcomes of people treated for acute leukemia (a cancer of the bone marrow) and how they evaluate their experiences with health communication.
- Internship Duties:
- The duties will depend somewhat on the student’s interests but will definitely involve reviewing medical records and entering data into an electronic data base. Interested students may participate in survey building and analysis, interviews, and analysis of interviews for recurrent themes. Opportunities to participate in literature reviews are also available.
- Attention to detail and accuracy, completion of requirements for human subjects research approval, and interested in collaboration and personal /professional growth.